Thursday, January 19, 2012

Noob Photographer

We’ve crossed five time zones in ten days and we are in Zhulu time (Antarctic time that was put in place since the time zone spans decrease as you approach a pole so switching time zones becomes rather pointless, especially if you’re stationed at the South Pole Station).
An indicator that we are getting close is the “ice birds” that have been following our ship.  A few days ago I somehow managed to advance my clock two hours instead of one and found myself at breakfast an hour early. Here are some ice bird photos that I got to take that morning, and they were flying real close!
Bullet

Nice Birds Arse

Emo Bird

Like a G6


When looking through my pictures afterwards I noticed this irritating black dot smack dab in the middle of the above photo. To my surprise this is what I found when I zoomed in.
Albatross

An Albatross is a bird native to the Southern Ocean and is gigantic. While I spotted its wingspan from deck a few times it was too far away to get a photo of… or so I thought. DSLR WIN.
And then yesterday, I saw my first Iceberg (and some whales, no big deal (ha. ha.)).

Awesome Shelf

It was at least four kilometers away, and it is most definitely larger than our ship.  To give you an indication of its size….

I tried applying a blue tint filter on it with my camera to see what that’s like, and applied a fish eye effect to make it “sublime.” DSLR WIN.
BAM

Sully trying to get some zoom

By this morning, Icebergs were popping up all over the radar.
Radar

Real Life (Hell yeah Wide Angle)

The chief mate had us stand watch on bridge for two hours each this morning; I didn’t even try to count the number of icebergs in view. The icebergs we are seeing are for the most part glacial ice, and are classified as follows.
Glacial Ice

An example of each in real life
We’ve spotted more than a few cool ones now, including a titans recliner chair and boot.
Icy Recliner

Boot

Awesome colours (Unedited Photo)
Check out the natural ice
Not long until we start spotting penguins.

Ice Dead Ahead
That is if the Russians get here anytime soon. (Did I mention we're meeting up with a Russian ice breaker?)

No comments:

Post a Comment